Routines can be a stabilizing constant that children can count on and look forward to, and parents can integrate them into many different moments throughout the day. Parents try to use some of these strategies to foster a sense of home anywhere:
In the morning:
- Try doing the same stretching and breathing exercises together every morning. Stretch tall, touch your toes, then take three deep breaths.
- Add a daily “mantra” such as “I am loved,” “I am strong,” “I believe in myself,” or “This will change” to set the tone for the day.
- Try cuddling and singing the same lullaby together each night.
- Belly-breathe! Put your hands on your bellies and take three deep breaths in and out, feeling your bellies rise and fall.
- Hold your child’s hands as she falls asleep.
- Observe the shape of the moon or count the stars before bed.