Parents and caregivers can be good role models and help develop your child’s foundation by practicing the following tips:
- Treat children in a loving, caring and respectful way
- Decide what values are important in your family and model those values in your daily life
- Praise children for positive behavior
- Take advantage of teachable moments
- Read parables and stories that teach moral character
- Monitor children’s exposure to screen time such as TV, video games, internet, etc.
- Discuss and implement age-appropriate consequences
- Give lots of opportunities to make age-appropriate choices
- Helping children see things from another person’s point of view
The real test of character is how well children act when their parents are not around!
Community Service Programs of West Alabama (CSP), Inc.’s Head Start/Early Head Start, Child Care Partnership, and Early Intervention programs engage families and encourage healthy lifestyle choices. Safe and healthy children are ready to learn and explore their world.