Remember the 3 C’s: Be clear, consistent and have consequences.
Here are some tips to defuse arguments and restore harmony in your family.
- You are the parent. It is your responsibility to set appropriate rules and expectations.
- Remember that it is a child’s role to challenge and test rules and guidelines as they learn about life.
- Unreasonable rigid standards are counter-productive to a child’s self-esteem and family harmony.
- Involve your children in establishing family rules and consequences.
- Give children a voice in simple age-appropriate decisions.
- Offer choices and options by negotiating whenever possible.
- Be clear on areas that are non-negotiable such as personal hygiene, manners, homework, etc.
- Respond in a matter of fact way, don’t let emotions get triggered.
- Watch your personal tone of voice and body language.
- Stay calm and in control of the situation.
Community Service Programs of West Alabama (CSP), Inc.’s Head Start/Early Head Start, Child Care Partnership, and Early Intervention programs engage families and encourage healthy lifestyle choices. Safe and healthy children are ready to learn and explore their world.